25 Years Old and Still Unemployed – 7 Best Actions You Can Take Now
If you are 25 years old and still unemployed, then you must be really worried and unhappy with the whole situation, and rightly so as this reflects badly on your resume and raise a lot of questions. However, there is no need to panic as there are a number of things that you can do to redeem yourself and make the most of the given situation. Here are 7 best actions you can take now to ensure your future is nothing like the present.
- Take a Part-Time Assignment: You cannot just sit around waiting for your dream job, so get up and start looking for a temporary job or contract assignment. This will not only enhance your skills but will also show future employers that you used your time constructively. Hence, instead of focusing on the gap on your resume, employers will see your skillset and look at what you can bring to their firm as an employee. Besides, if you do your part-time job well, your boss will surely write a good recommendation letter for you!
- Join Some Class: There is nothing like ‘knowing it all’ as you never stop learning. So, during your unemployment period, you can sign up for some class – online or offline – to enhance your technical competence and overall profile. Taking up a class shows that you are passionate and serious about your profession, which will work in your favour during an interview.
- Work on a Blog: Writing a professional blog calls for proficiency and knowledge, apart from good communication skills. Since you are writing a professional blog, it will showcase future employers that you are an expert in your field and also that you are serious about your career in the chosen field. Interestingly, it is also a great marketing tool where you are marketing yourself to employers. Besides, if successful, blogging is also a source of income that can help you pay the bills during the rough patch.
- Expand Your Network: In this highly competitive world, networking is crucial to land a job. Hence, you can use this time to make connections and expand your network. Besides, you getting recommended from someone within the hiring company increases your chances of getting selected for the job. So, don’t hesitate and ask for help from your contact working at the organization you are interested in. Also, keep an eye on the job openings in that organization so that you don’t miss an opportunity!
- Keep an Up-to-the-Minute Resume: While actively pursuing a job, you need to send and update your resume almost every day. Make sure you customise your resume as per the job requirements so that it ranks high in the electronic scanning device that maximum organizations use to screen resumes. For this to happen, make sure you use relevant keywords as per the job posting.
- Follow-Up: An organization gets several resumes for a single job posting and thus, it is important to do something extra to increase your chances of getting shortlisted. Make sure to follow up with the hiring manager of the organization after sending your resume as well as after the interview. This separates you from others by showing that you are serious and keen for the job.
- Be Your Own Boss: Before you fall for this amazing idea, embrace the fact that this is a risky proposition. You need to put in a lot of resources to start any business, such as money, time, effort, etc. So, if you have these resources, along with possessing entrepreneurial skills, then you can think about starting your own business. Although it is an uphill climb, the best part of being an entrepreneur is that you are your own boss!
In case, none of these ideas click, then you can always seek professional guidance from experts. Elysian, a renowned name, can help you choose the best option for you after a detailed analysis of your skills, intelligence, interests, and talents. Their experts make use of scientifically proven methods like Psychometric Tests, Aptitude Tests, and DMIT (Dermatoglyphics Multiple Intelligence Test) to provide career counselling to you. Moreover, during this time of pandemic crisis caused by coronavirus, Elysian is also offering online counselling.