Top 5 Engineering colleges to study in Coimbatore
Engineering after 12th – but where? This is a question which most of the science students may face. So let’s first look at the criteria which a science student must have to qualify for an engineering seat.
They must have passed their 12th Board from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as their core subjects by scoring a minimum of fifty percent in all three subjects combined.
There are few top rated colleges like NIT’s and IIT’s which grant Engineering seat based on the results on JEE Main and Advanced Examinations. Also, there are few other top colleges like Amritha Vidhya Vishwapeetham which have their own admission examination called as AEEE and admissions are based on the ranking in it.
Still can’t decide what to choose after 12th class? Get expert Career Guidance for 12th std Students from Prabha R, certified education consultant.
Based on the 12th marks getting admission in the top 5 engineering colleges in Coimbatore will be based on the counseling and the TNEA rank list 2021 for this year. The admission into TNEA (Tamil Nadu Engineering admission) participating colleges is based purely on the 12th mark list of the candidates who have registered and there are no entrance exams here. This is held once a year and currently the mode of application is online with an application fees of Rs. 500/-. This is held by Anna University. The opening and closing cut off marks are put up for each stream for the candidates to calculate their chance to participate in the TNEA. Some seats are also reserved as sports quota for students playing competitive sports at state, national or international levels.
The top five colleges in Coimbatore for Engineering courses are PSG college of Engineering, Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Government College of Technology, Amrita Vidhya Vishwapreeth and Kumaraguru college of Engineering.
- PSG Engineering College ranks first in the list of top engineering colleges based on the 2021 ranking. The sub streams offered for Engineering include Mechanical, Electric and Electronic, Computer Science, Electronics and Communications, Civil Engineering, Electronics and Information Technology. This college is annexed with Anna University. This college has a good placement cell with over 90 percent of the students getting placed in reputed companies every year.
- Coimbatore Institute of Technology. This is an autonomous college. This college is a government aided institution. It is recognized by AICTE and also affiliated to Anna University from the year 2001.This college is also accredited to National board of Accreditation. The streams offered here also are 7 undergraduate courses, 9 Post graduate courses and 3 five year integrated programs. It also offers sandwich course and engineering diplomas in various disciplines. CIT has an exemplary placement record. They collaborate with industry leading companies as far as recruitment is concerned.
- Government college of Technology, Thadagam Road-This is an autonomous as well as state funded Engineering college affiliated to Anna University. Admission to this college can be done online on merit basis as well as based on a valid score in the national and state entrance exams ranking. Courses offered here are B.E in Civil, Mechanical, Industrial Bio technology Computer science, Electronic and electrical engineering, computer Science Information technology. The TNEA exams for this college are also conducted by Anna University. Placements in this college are also good.
- Amrita Vidhya Vishwapeetham, Ettimadai, Coimbatore. This is a private deemed university. This college is good for its Engineering programs and it has an outstanding rating. It provides good hands on experience and follows similar syllabus to IIT. There is a regular updating of the syllabus here. It has a ranking of the 5th most excellent university as per NIRF. The courses offered here for engineering vary from Computer science, Electronics and communications, Electrical and electronic, Information technology, Artificial intelligence, Mechanical engineering, Civil engineering, Chemical engineering as well as Aerospace engineering. Admissions here are based on AEEE ranking as mentioned above. There is a 100% placement in this college in the past years. Similarly placed student have a dream option to go for higher pay jobs and better job profiles.
- Kumaraguru College of Engineering (KCT)- This is a private Engineering college which has an self-governing status and is affiliated to Anna University. This college is approved by AICTE. It has 14 undergraduate programs in BE and B Tech ranging from Electronics and communications, Civil Engineering, Mechanical engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology Electrical and Electronics engineering, Textile engineering, Bio technology, Aeronautical engineering, Environmental engineering, Machatronics, Embedded and VLSI, Apparel designs, Power engineering. There is good placement here and mostly every IT company like Accenture, TCS, Cognizant, Wipro, Tech Mahindra etc come here for campus selection.
Conclusion: Students who have scored a good percentage and plan to study Engineering in Coimbatore can thus log into the TNEA portal at tnaeonine.org using their registered email address and password and access the TNEA rank list to know their chance of getting into their dream college in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. The candidates who qualify in the TNEA of the particular year will be called for a counseling round.
Hope this clears the minds of the young Engineering aspirants!!