Top Colleges in Chennai for Commerce stream
The commerce field is very diverse and this gives lots of course options for students after their high school i.e. the 12th. Career option for 12th students who have completed the 12th commerce can be a Bachelors in Commerce (Bcom), Bachelors in Business Administration (BBA), Chartered Accountancy course (CA) or ACS (Company Secretaries course). Of these, the most sought for course is BCom ie Bachelors of Commerce. This is a 3 year course and the course subjects taught would be related to commerce and finance subjects like corporate tax, accountancy, auditing and company law. Normally students willing to study commerce as a graduation should have completed 12th standard or equivalent with commerce as a subject. Having Mathematics in the 12th is optional and that depends on the college chosen. However those students who studied Mathematics, Economics and/or accounts are also equally eligible to apply for a commerce stream.
A candidate applying to do a Bachelor of Commerce degree needs to clear the cut off marks for that particular degree in a particular college. Some selected colleges have entrance tests and if so the same will have to be cleared.
If You are still confused with what to choose after 12th class? Get expert Career Guidance for 12th std Students from Prabha R, certified education consultant.
Now let’s see the list of the top ranking colleges for BCom in Chennai as per the 2021 ranking list.
- Loyola College – This College tops the list with a ranking of 8.6. It has been accredited by NAAC with a grade-A++. Loyola college is affiliated with the Madras University. This college aims to create successful professionals. It has an excellent infrastructure, culture and extracurricular activities. The college has an active placement cell facilitating placement to the students. It also trains students with employable skills and empowers the students with communicative abilities. Nearly 75% of the students from this college get placed every year.
- Madras Christian College – Next on line as per the 2021 ranking list comes the Madras Christian college. It holds the17th rank in the NIFC. This is an autonomous college having resourceful faculty and well organized alumni network. Candidates applying for commerce course must have a minimum of 50 % aggregate in higher secondary exams. Every year Companies like Wipro, TCS come for campus selection. Nearly 50% of the students of this college get placed every year.
- Stella Marris College – This is a private and autonomous college and is affiliated to University of Madras. The College has a good qualified faculty who are well versed in their field. This college is reaccredited by the NAAC with highest Grade A in Cycle III. The college has a great library facility which is housed in a two stories building which is fully automated and has wide collection of books and periodicals that are constantly updated. This college has ranked 58 among top 200 colleges in India by NIRF 2021.
The college has a vibrant students union who are proactive and dynamic for the student’s interest. The college also has a vibrant and active alumnae association which includes Kerala, Bangalore and also Madurai chapters.
The college has a good placement with lots of companies like Deloitte, ICICI, KPMG, McKindsey who come in for a campus selection. Nearly 70 percent of the students get placed every year. The placement cell of the college takes a good initiative to train and skill the eligible candidates for the interviews
4. Ethiraj College for Women is an arts and Science College managed by the Ethiraj College Trust and is an autonomous college. This is affiliated to the University of Madras. The admissions are based on the cutoff Percentage and are purely merit based. With an affordable fee structure the college being especially for women it gives a separate women empowerment for those women who feel insecure. With a good teaching faculty the college also has good extracurricular activities and Cultural. It sets up a platform for improvement of talents and it gives equal importance to such programs along with the academics. The college has a rating of about 7.8/10.
It has a good placement cell and top recruiters like Deloitte, EY, Wipro, HCL, Citi bank Infosys, TCS all come for campus recruitment.
- Womens Christian College– Located at Nungabakkam, Chennai –This is a century old autonomous institution accredited with A grade by the NAAC and it is affiliated to the university of madras. This is a women’s college and hence boys are not allowed to enter the college. It has well equipped infrastructure and lab. The college has a well equipped and big library that feasts your book thirst. The college has a pleasant ambiance and environment boosting the mood to read and study. The college has a rating of 8.7 .
The college has a placement cell and top recruiting companies like Cognizant, Deloitte, Yes bank and other local companies come for a campus placement. More than 50% of the candidates get placed year on year.
Other than the top 5 colleges there are many more colleges in Chennai where a student can persue the Bcom graduation course.
Conclusion: Bcom is a most sought after stream which can be complimented by doing a Post graduation in Mcom or MBA etc which will give it a better value for the job taken. Also courses like CA, ACS or cost accounting can be taken post that.